Middle managers tend to operate on a tactical level and for this reason, you need a questionnaire with items and statements that reflect this. A questionnaire designed for senior managers or executives is likely to contain strategic activities and may make completion awkward for both reviewer and reviewee.
We see that a middle manager:
- Has clearly defined limits on their freedom to act or take decisions, and will be expected to report regularly on their performance to a senior manager
- Is likely to be a technical specialist in a role which is primarily focused on managing the work and performance of others
- Is responsible for establishing, maintaining and improving systems and processes to agreed quality standards and efficiency levels
- Is accountable for the performance of a team who they manage directly or indirectly through first line managers or team leaders
- Is a budget holder responsible for allocating resources within defined boundaries
- Is responsible for recruiting, developing, promoting and disciplining team members
- Negotiates terms directly with internal and external customers and suppliers within prescribed boundaries
- Undertakes change project management which is sponsored or approved by a more senior manager
The competencies assessed
The 360-degree questionnaire covers the 12 competencies of the Progress International Competency Framework and includes statements (or behavioural indicators) relevant for use with middle managers.
Get started now
With your credit card to hand click on the Get Started button, you can be up and running almost immediately - and don't forget to add professional feedback!